You might not wear it again, but you can at least make the process easier!
Being asked to be a bridesmaid is a wonderful honor, but it can also come with some downsides: namely the dress. Bridesmaid gowns are notorious for being unflattering, despite the fact that many top designers have genuinely beautiful designs. However, even the most stunning looks can be a hassle, largely due to expense and a low chance of being able to wear it again.
Issues with the bridesmaid dress can lead to resentment, sadly damaging the relationship that put you into this position in the first place. To make the process as painless as possible, we’ve provided 11 tips for bridesmaids on the hunt for the perfect gown.
- Be clear and honest about your budget from the start to help prevent tension down the road.
- Remember that the other bridesmaids may have a different price point than you. If you’ll all be wearing the same dress (or the same designer) be considerate of this.
- Start the process early and don’t procrastinate. More time to shop gives you a better chance at finding a sale, whereas waiting too long may mean you have to rush order your gown.
- If you go shopping with the bride, do a little research online ahead of time so you’re not starting from scratch.
- Allow time for alterations.
- Listen to what the bride wants. As long as she’s not being rude and demanding, be kind and follow her vision as best you can.
- Remember it’s only one day and it’s not the end of the world to wear a dress you don’t love.
- Be specific about what you don’t like, rather than simply saying you hate one of the options.
- Don’t forget to consider the undergarments you can wear.
- Move around to make sure you can dance in the dress comfortably, and without being surprisingly revealing!
- Make sure to try on the gown in person before buying, or at least carefully read the return policy. Some gowns may look different in person than online.