For decades, bridesmaids at a wedding were expected to wear matching outfits, and usually matching accessories and beauty looks as well. However, in the past several years it has become fairly common to see female bridal attendants in mismatched gowns. This choice can range from dresses from the same designer and shade, but different styles, to gowns in the same color family, to completely individual choices of varying looks. As trendy as mismatched bridesmaid dresses are, there are still plenty of brides who have their best gal pals in matching ensembles. If you’re unsure which choice is best for your bridesmaids as well as your big day, take a look at the pros and cons of mismatched bridesmaid dresses below.
Photo courtesy of Kat Braman Photography; Planning & Design by Posh Parties
- Flattering for individuals. Unless your bridesmaids happen to have the exact same skin tone and body shape, it’s likely that a style that suits one woman will not suit them all. Allowing for choice allows each of your gals to look and feel great.
- Easier on budgets. Similarly, not all your bridesmaids will be in the same financial state. Unless you’re able to pay for everyone’s gown, allowing everyone to pick their own will make sure people only buy a dress they can afford.
- More dimensions in the photos. Especially true of large bridal parties, a bunch of women in the same outfit doesn’t always make for an interesting image in your wedding album.
- Lack of cohesion. There is an art to selecting mismatched gowns. When not carefully curated, the resulting group can look messy rather than a chic collection.
- Less control over your vision. If you are very picky over the aesthetic elements of your big day, it may be better to select one dress for everyone to wear rather than taking the time to approve each frock selected by your ‘maids.
- Not as timeless. There is something undeniably classic about bridesmaids in matching dresses, especially if you can compare to the wedding photos of your mom and grandmother. More traditional brides will likely feel more comfortable with this choice.