If you’ve been in the same relationship for a few years, depending on your age, you might find yourself wistfully waiting for a proposal. Perhaps you and your significant other have discussed marriage, but always in the hypothetical. As you watch more and more friends and acquaintances announce their engagements on social media, it gets increasingly more difficult to wait for that special question. With engagement season in full swing, expectations are at an all-time high.
Even though modern couples often openly discuss the next steps and even pick out rings together, your sweetheart probably wants to keep the actual popping of the question a surprise. However, if your heart can’t take the suspense anymore, in our experience we’ve deduced that there are a few telltale signs that reveal someone is about to propose. While there are no guarantees in life – and a few of these behaviors can actually be red flags in the wrong context – if you can check off several items on this below list, there’s a good chance that an engagement ring is coming in the next few months.
1. He’s acting nervous and shifty about his plans or whereabouts, but you still have full trust in him.
2. Your parents start asking leading questions. Is your boyfriend the type to ask for their blessing? They may know something you don’t.
3. He’s much more frugal than he usually is, even after getting a long-awaited raise.
4. You can’t find the ring you wear on your right hand. If it turns up in a week or so, he was probably trying to figure out your ring size. Or perhaps your friend asks about your ring size, and you don’t typically talk about jewelry.
5. He’s more possessive than usual over his phone – hopefully because he's been talking to friends and family about his plan and has ring pictures in his camera roll.
6. He’s planned a romantic vacation or date far in advance… and this is out of character.
Opening photo by Asia Pimental Photography