Now that just about everyone has a wedding hashtag to see pictures from their big day on Instagram, it’s only natural that the next step in social media personalization are geofilters for Snapchat. If you’re not familiar with the rapidly growing social media platform, it’s a social sharing service where you can send photos or videos to friends that last for only 10 seconds. Snapchat “stories” can also be shared with everyone who follows you and are only viewable for 24 hours. Most locations in the United States and the world have a “geofilter,” which is a graphic overlay for photos that shows which city you are in. Snapchat also has an On-Demand Geofilter program for both personal and business use. Personal geofilters are typically used for important events, and there are not many personal events more important than a wedding!
If you are interested in creating a geofilter for your celebration, here are the steps to take:
- Go to the Snapchat On-Demand website, sign in, and carefully read their submission guidelines.
- If the guidelines are agreeable and you want to move forward, Snapchat provides templates for Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator that make it quick and easy.
- If graphic design isn’t your forte, you could hire a professional for the task, especially if you’ve already chosen to employ a social media coordinator for your wedding.
- Once you create and save the filter to your liking, upload it to Snapchat where you can further tweak it.
- Select the dates to have your filter active. You can have it available just on your wedding day or for the whole wedding weekend! Technically you can have it up for 30 days, but that's likely unnecessary for this type of event.
- Next, choose your area range, between twenty thousand and five million square feet. It can cover just your venue, or expand the radius to the hotels your guests will be staying and beyond.
- You will then get a price estimate. The location of the filter affects price as well as the duration and area coverage, so be prepared to pay more if you live in a metropolitan area. Prices start as low as $5 but can be several hundred dollars an hour.
For more ways to use social media throughout your wedding, click here. If you're planning on having a wedding hashtag, take a look at these ways to display it throughout your décor or try a service that will create your wedding hashtag for you. Find additional wedding inspiration by following Inside Weddings on Facebook, Google +, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Opening photo by Walters & Walters