A honeymoon is different than any other trip you will take. It will be your first trip together as husband and wife and it may be the most romantic vacation you’ll ever take. Without question, you will both want everything to go perfectly.
The honeymoon is generally the groom’s responsibility, and unfortunately, some grooms don’t understand that it takes considerable time and skill to plan the perfect honeymoon. If you are planning to use airline miles to book your travel, it will require even greater skill to orchestrate the trip. Of course, the most popular honeymoon destinations are frequently booked well in advance, especially if you want to travel during peak season.
After you realize that the time to start planning your honeymoon is right now, the next thing to do is think of the places you want to visit. Try choosing a destination where neither of you have been. This way you can share the experience for the first time and have memories that are yours alone. This can be an entirely new destination (an island in Hawaii you have not visited), a new type of trip (a cruise, for example), or even a different hotel or resort in a place you both love.
Next are the five essential questions you need to think about in order to create the perfect honeymoon. Take some time to sit down together and discuss these points. You’ll be amazed how much this will help in making sure the two of you have a wonderful experience.
1. What kind of honeymoon do you want? Do you want to relax or explore? After the stress of the wedding, will you be happier sitting on a beach or visiting museums? Can’t decide? The groom wants one thing and the bride another? Then you will need a destination that offers both.
2. What do you love to do? Are you adventurers? Do you enjoy visiting other cultures? Do you yearn to be waited on hand and foot? Think about your passions and build your honeymoon around them.
3. Do you want to spend time in a warm or cold climate? You might be able to spend half of your time in one place and the other half in another, as long as the destinations are close enough to each other.
4. Do you want to be surrounded by people or do you want to be secluded? Do you want nightlife or are you happy to hang out together in the evenings?
5. How much time and money can you spend to make this the most memorable vacation of your lifetime? Some destinations may be unrealistic choices depending on the travel time available to you. Your budget may make certain destinations obvious choices and others untouchable. Remember, while other trips come and go, you will always remember your honeymoon.
Kimberly Krug is an experienced travel professional who regularly assists clients in creating the perfect honeymoon. For additional information, contact her at 866 665 5200.
Opening photograph courtesy of Lillianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa