Make sure they coordinate well for the perfect bridal look!
After picking out a dress, brides who choose to wear a veil often count on the accessory to complete their bridal ensemble. Of course, hair and makeup are also part of the wedding-day look, and all of these elements must complement each other. While it can be assumed that one would make sure their veil and gown match, the importance of choosing the right corresponding hairstyle – not just for your face, but for your veil – is something that can be overlooked.
For some women who have always known exactly how they want to wear their hair on their wedding day, the key is to find a veil that works with both with the dress and the hairstyle. Others have always pictured themselves with a specific kind of veil, which means that their hair has to look right with the veil. If this is the case, we highly recommend bringing your bridal veil to your hair trial in order to find the best style.
While most combinations of hairstyles and veils will look perfectly lovely together, we have to admit that some pairings just seem to be extra special. These are our tips for styling your hair and veil for your wedding day.
- Birdcage veils are an excellent choice for shorter hair, as well as asymmetrical updos with a vintage vibe.
- Mantilla veils look best with long hair worn down, whether straight or in loose waves.
- On a similar note, long hair worn down should be paired with a veil at least as long as the hair.
- A half-updo is a good compromise if you want wear your hair down, as it’s always easier to wear a veil if there’s something to attach it to. The style works especially well with fingertip- to cathedral-length veils.
- Buns and top knots look great with a chapel or cathedral veil cascading down, pinned just underneath the hairstyle.
For more tips, five beautiful braided hairstyles to wear for the big day, read your guide to selecting the right veil for your wedding dress, and discover bridal stylist Maradee Wahl's expert tips for choosing a veil.
Opening photo by Bob & Dawn Davis Photography