Consider going beyond dinner and drinks.
While destination weddings can be seen as inconvenient, they also give the couple and their guests more chances to celebrate. A whole wedding weekend is common in these instances, as well as when you aren’t traveling for your nuptials but many of your attendees will be. The first event on the itinerary of a weekend in honor of your upcoming marriage is often a welcome party. This is usually a dinner or cocktail party, which is certainly going to be appreciated – but why not have a little more fun with it? Particularly if you are in an exciting location, a fun or unique soirée will help set the tone for the big day. Even a hometown wedding can embrace a local pastime in order to give attendees an experience that differs from the main event. If you’re still figuring out what to do for your welcome party, consider the ideas below.
- Cruise/boat party. Whether you rent a yacht or a catamaran, if your location is on the water, your guests will love the chance to take advantage of the sights.
- Bowling. This is especially fun if you’re having a formal, black-tie wedding, as the contrast with a casual celebration is appealing. You can rent out a whole bowling alley, have some friendly competition, and enjoy some classic snacks.
- Wine tasting. From Napa to Italy, there are numerous wedding destinations in wine country. Why not take advantage by bringing your guests on a tour of a local winery?
- Fun and games. Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki and former NBA All-Star David Lee had an Olympic-style competition for their rehearsal dinner. While you may not want to be as intense as professional athletes, a series of games in order to create a competition can be a fun way for everyone to bond and get to know each other.
- Trivia night. You can hire a trivia host such as the ones for bar trivia nights, or create questions based on you and your future spouse for a fun way to tie in your nuptials.
Find out who should be invited to a bridal shower and discover 10 ways to have fun while getting ready for your wedding.