See the special things to include when asking your best ladies to be part of the big day.
One of the most exciting parts of planning your wedding is choosing the members of your bridal party – should you choose to have one. While we recommend waiting to ask your bridesmaids to be part of your big day until you've determined the major details of your celebration, once it's time to do so, many brides are choosing to go out of their way to make their future 'maids feel special during the "proposal" process.
While it's certainly not required, those couples with the time, energy, and budget to create a gift box should consider sending one to those closest to them in order to ask them to be part of the wedding party. "Will You Be My Bridesmaid?" gift boxes are growing in popularity – with many companies such as The Welcome Bag Committee offering pre-made options – but what should you include in these packages if you'll be building them yourself? Below, find a list of items we recommend including in your bridesmaid proposal box as a starting point.
What to Include in Your Bridesmaid Proposal Box:
- A sweet note. Explain why this gift box is coming to them! Simply place a card with the question “Will you be my bridesmaid?” inside the box and be sure to add personalized details, such as fond memories or inside jokes to ensure your friends appreciate the sentimental touch.
- A first-aid or “emergency” kit. Providing your gals with a mini-survival package consisting of small wedding-day essentials is a fun and practical addition. Products such as safety and bobby pins, pain-reliever pills, a stain-removal pen, etc. are a great place to start.
- A few of their favorite sweets. If you know what your friends' favorite candies, cookies, or other treats are, add small packages of those inside. Everyone appreciates a sweet treat – especially when it's related to a celebration!
- An item with their name displayed. Many brides like to include some kind of personalized item – water cups, coffee mugs, Champagne flutes, small jewelry pieces, etc. – in their proposal boxes. These are cute, practical, and show that you put thought into the gift. Many of these items can also be included in getting-ready photos the morning of the wedding!
- A fragrant candle. If you already know which flowers will be part of your wedding – or if your event has a signature scent – include a small candle with a scent related to your soirée. Since scent is closely tied to memory, your best girls will always remember this happy time when they light the wick.
- Nail polish. Chances are you’ll know at least one color each friend of yours likes – include this nail polish hue in the gift box so they'll be able to use it throughout your engagement and even after the nuptials.
- A miniature bottle of their favorite beverage. Many brides-to-be like to include a small bottle of Champagne or sparkling wine to jump-start the celebration!
Of course this list can be tailored to your specific group of friends, but we hope these suggestions will at least help you get started. If you'd rather not spend the time curating your own bridesmaid proposal box, The Welcome Bag Committee offers custom and pre-made gift boxes to make your bridesmaid proposal as easy as their "yes" should be!
This exclusive box features a bottle of rosé, Champagne bears, an infused bath bomb, rose soap, and a set of chocolates. “Will You Be My Bridesmaid?” Peony Rhombus Gift Set Collection, $125 from The Welcome Bag Committee
Find out which bridesmaid gifts aren't really gifts, find out what not to give your bridesmaids, and get expert tips for creating your wedding welcome bags.